There is an interesting fact in a book I've read, where almost 90 percent of leaders thinkthat employees change jobs or resigns in order to get better income. However, when employees were interviewed, only 12 percent stated that they had indeed moved because of a better income, the other 88 percent considered "other factors". These other factors are distrust of leaders, not getting enough feedback, no opportunity to develop, not motivated or not enough to get awards. If we take a closer look at the "other factors" mentioned, these are the "Leader factor" so employees don’t leave the company, but they leave their boss.

There is no school that teaches students to be a good boss. There are so many incidents where leaders only care about work results but forget to develop their employees. Most leaders think the measure of success is if and only if they achieve the set goals, they sometimes forget that as a leader, goals can only be achieved if the team works well. What often happens is that leaders often take over jobs that they think team members cannot do well? In the end what happens is that the boss feels overloaded because the team is not able carry out the work according to his expectations but in other hand team members feel they are not given sufficient direction and feedback in carrying out their job. It's like  a vicious circle where in the end this problem keeps repeating itself and ends up they  leave the company because their leader.

Development dialogue is one of the tools to help us develop the team. Many leaders feel they have done development related to employees but what happens is only in the form of one-way instructions and maybe even only scold or give a warning for only focusing on performance evaluation. Development dialogue is a form of two-way communication between superiors and subordinates that aims to develop your team both personally and professionally.

"Development Dialogue Is A Form Of Two-Way Communication Between Superiors And Subordinates That Aims To Develop Your Team Both Personally And Professionally"

There are three capabilities that make dialogue development effective. First is the ability of a superior to listen and provide time for the team to express aspirations and discuss the development goals and plans. Second ability is to ask the right questions, namely how do we give open questions instead of closed questions, which allows the party answering to talk more about the problem and how the solution to the problem it  faces. The last is the ability to provide feedback that focuses on behavior rather than on the person we are giving feedback to.

By optimizing the above abilities, individuals will feel actively involved in their own development and increase individual engagement which will certainly indirectly increase individual productivity but also improve overall team performance. Lastly, I would like to share a question for leaders to reflect on:

1. Have we discussed with our team members regarding their development in the last 3 months?

2. When we have discussions; have we given our team members the opportunity to be more active in discussions or are we more in control of the conversation?

3. Have we followed up the development follow-up plan? How effective is it? Have we evaluated the follow-up of the development?

If indeed we have many answers we say no, then it's time for us to start now.